Tuesday 12 October 2010

Birthday Cake

I needed to make a birthday cake, I decided it would look  more asthetically pleasing if it were 3layers and so I did this last minute. I used the strawberry cream cake recipe which is lower down in my blog but adapted it. I used two sponges from the recipe below and one sponge recipe in which I halved all the ingredients so it came out as enough mixture for one sponge and not two. 

In the 3rd sponge I threw in a handful of flaked almonds to give each layer a different taste and texture. On the top I scattered toasted almonds with shreds of white chocolate. The best thing is you can make it your own. Part of me was tempted to use 2 different types of nuts; maca and almonds (in the sponge) but I thought I could try that another time. Plus, would everyone at that party be obsessed with nuts the way I am? That was a question I couldn't answer.Also I added two layers of fresh cream with macarpone and strawberries instead of one, and on the third sponge put a hefty amount of juicy strawberry jam. The frosting is my favourite though, I was licking the bowl clean after the cake was finished and my sister dipped some strawberries in the frosting. I didn't know how easy it would be to cut it, but it would certainly provide a burst of fresh flavours on the tongue<3 x

No comments:

Post a Comment