Wednesday 6 October 2010

Round Roti's {The Life of A Peyrah}

"Rho-tee- defined as an unleavened flatbread made from atta flour in the Hindi, Urdu, Punjabi, Assamese, Indonesian, Malay, Bengali, Thai, Marathi and Somali languages. It is also known as rotli in Gujarati, "Maani" in Sindhi and phulka in Punjabi and Saraiki"








As my dad went on his way out, this is what he said "I got the dough out, two rotis ready by 5;45" and that was it. I plodded downstairs, made a keema (mince meat) salan with the usual haldi [tumeric powder], tomatoes and chopped onions. Then I did the washing up because it's frustrating to try and use the kitchen work surface when one half of the kitchen looks like kabul. I used my fingers to claw into the dough and rolled a ball of it into my palms, dipping it in the flour and then taking each corner whilst rotating it and folding it back in to itself. Admittedly I enjoy making rotis (chappatis) from fresh dough, or dough which has reached room temperature from the fridge. However, if the dough is more than 2 days refrigerated I always manage to make a roti which looks like it should be on 'without a trace' . 

So here it is, the life of a peyrah (blob of dough) transformed into a chappati. I don't know what the obsession is with perfectly round rotis, many south east asians understand how it isn't a hard and fast rule, but it sort of is. You wouldn't reject it if it were another shape but for some reason the beauty of it is in its circular nature. Or is it somehow inextricably linked to the rumour that a brides mother in law will be horrified by any sense of imperfection in it's shaping and rise? In that case, PRESSURE'S ON LADIES. I say ladies not to be sexist but because I am yet to know an asian male on a personal basis who knows {or wishes} to make roti. If you're there, drop a comment otherwise I'll take that as a 'no i'm alright thanks'. 

For me it's equally about the thickness, if its too thin it will tear and there will be holes before it even reaches the hot plate [tavaa]. Yes, it's fun popping your eye through the hole and saying "hello" to the person opposite you but on a more serious note being able to have a good tear when you go to rip off a piece is just what I like. The elasticity is key. The flour for these rotis is 50% white and 50% brown because brown dough is best used fresh. White on the other hand is a tad more versatile.  Bread is amazing, in all it's forms with so many shapes, textures and looks. Carbs should be my worst enemy, but what can I say. An asian is married to carbs from the moment they taste it- rice, roti, naan, is coupled with everything. It's like a bad asian drama, every angle has the echoing of carbs and shocked faces but it's inescapable and yet so addictive. <3

3 comments:

  1. This "Rho-tee is like what we have in Iran called Nan Lavash or Lavash Bread!!..Man not a good time for uploading these photos..People May get hungry u know!!:D...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lol, I like the look of nan Lavash!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks so nice! Can we have a recipe (preferably simplified as I have managed to set my toaster on fire already at uni, so am not entirely confident in my capabilities... : ) )

    ReplyDelete