Thursday 23 September 2010

Eid FCO Dinner

So after a hectic scramble to make it to the Foreign and Commonwealth Office on tuesday evening, situated beautifully near the Buckingham Palace and an embarassingly hour late me and my sister stroll in to what is hardly a "dinner". The "dinner" (you know you love those sarcastic finger waving speech marks), I shall describe from what I saw at first glance...I see blacksuit clad men and predominantly muslim women listening to the secretary of the home office Theresa May...atleast I think so, perhaps my international relations degree is failing me or rather, I am failing it. Anyway, so theres loads of people standing round with drinks in their hands (no baracadis don't get excited and ring your mate up to dish the gossip that a Muslim event had alcohol- according to a secret source many a Saudi Sheikh drink at these events, but there were Saudi sheikhs there and all they had was cranberry juice but then again they weren't serving alcohol), two tables at the back of the hall manned by polish waitresses and south asian male waiters. I'm disappointed! My crazy imagination wanted huge table to network and beautiful flower arrangements with amazing speakers, no offense Theresa. We arrived late anyway so maybe you were the best of all. I caught something she said about how we need to speak to the Muslim community not just about counter-terrorism which is true. You're right Miss.May, hats off to you. That'll sort out community cohesion, or just make stupid men like Laden feel like they've gone horribly out of fashion. Thumbs up to that, you're so over. Anyway, the speech ends, everyone claps out of respect and then little h'orderves start appearing on little white and black trays. My eyes shoot straight over to them and I'm so on it. I'm excited, I'm so hungry and finally a waitress comes over with some little tinyy weenyyy baby bread crummed nuggets with a lovely tartary/ a thousand island sauce to accompany it. So I take one, and dip it in and much to my dismay IT WAS OVER. She walked away with my lifeline in her hands. Eventually me and my sister moved around the hall 'networking', I put ' ' because I don't know about her but I wanted to get a few more bites and leave, in and between polite conversation with some other lovely ladies ofcourse. What do you take me for, a fatty? Noooo. Although my concentration levels start seriously deteriorating when I realise I haven't eaten for hours. THEN- THE SKIES PARTED and another waitress came with generous pieces of chicken on skewers  (twice), then we said good-bye and we were off home. I managed to survive, just about. From what I've experienced local councils are less tight then central government on food expenditure, heck, local council nods to everything with a little receipt and claims it back.Take my advice though, if you ever go to a government event either eat well before or confirm if they'll have A.PLATE.OF food.

No comments:

Post a Comment